David Edrington, Architect


Camp Sherman, Oregon is a small resort village situated on the Metolius River a few miles east of the Cascade Mountain range in central Oregon.  The river itself emerges from a large spring at the base of Black Butte and is nationally known for its fly-fishing opportunities.

Ranches, cabins and pastures were established in the Camp Sherman area as early as 1881.  In about 1912, wheat farmers from Sherman County began to come to the area to vacation, camp and fish after the summer fallow was plowed.  Residents of Portland followed,  also looking for rest and recreation.  The tent camps gradually turned to platform camps and then to modest cabins for summer use.  Eventually, clusters of cabins became small summer retreats.Today there are seven small resorts.  Age took its toll on the rather crudely built cabins, some of which were replaced by parking sites for trailers and recreational vehicles.   The Metolius River Resort consisted of several such cabins during the 1920s and 1930s.  They were gradually replaced with trailers during the '50s and '60s.  During this time the main building along Suttle-Sherman Road came to be a cafe and restaurant.

The site was sold in 1991 to a new owner, whose vision was to restore the site to its character from the1930's.  The restaurant was remodeled in 1991 into the Kokanee Cafe and the trailers and antiquated utilities were gradually removed. The new utilities were placed underground and a state-of-the-art sand-filter  system was designed and installed to safeguard the river's water quality.   Twelve new cabins well set back from the river in a cluster arrangement provide for a large common lawn along the river and better views up and down the river.   Parking is in small areas spread throughout the property.   The cabins are one-and-a-half storeys except for two which have smaller footprints and 2 bedrooms under the eaves in the second story. They average 800 square feet  with a bedroom and bath on the main floor and loft space above.  The compact footprints of the cabins and their relative tallness correspond with the tall Ponderosa pines.  Most of the pines were saved, because the cabins were sited to take advantage of the existing trees as well as views of the river.  New deciduous trees were planted along with native grasses and wild-flowers.  Materials include cedar sidewall shingles, green composition roofing, river rock fireplaces, wood windows and doors, and 1x6 pine paneling. The detailing and use of materials serve to reinforce the design's consistency with the historic cabins of Camp Sherman.


For more information go visit the Metolius River Resort Web Page
The Metolius River Resort, Camp Sherman, OR


Page created by: David Edrington, Architect
Changes last made on: May 17, 2000